The municipality of Sant Joan les Fonts is the second largest in the county of La Garrotxa with around 2700 inhabitants and is made up of three settlements: Sant Joan les Fonts - which gave the municipality its name -, La Canya and Begudà.
The municipality is at the meeting point of the roads that join Girona, with Olot, Figueres and Camprodon. As well, it is the route taken by lovers of winter sports to reach the ski slopes of La Molina, Vallter or Andorra.
The Route of Les Tres Colades, with its spectacular basalt cliffs, is a walking route that shows the results of the cooling of the lava as it flowed towards the site of the town.
The centre of Sant Joan les Fonts displays its past through many examples of natural and artistic heritage.
The church of the old Romanesque monastery of Sant Joan les Fonts has been declared a monument of national interest. The medieval bridge - constructed with volcanic stone. The medieval castle Estada Juvinyà is the oldest civil Romanesque building in Catalonia, according to local historian Frances Caula (1887-1973). Situated beside the river Fluvià, it is a stately home with a fortified defensive tower and main building. The Estada Juvinyà is the base for Sant Joan les Fonts' Territorial Interpretation Centre.
Fondo Mill, a place of interest because of its industrial archaeology and three lava flows that make up a natural part of the old dam. Santa Eulàlia de Begudà church and Cossei bridge at Begudà are other places of interest of the municipality.